Monday, January 21, 2008

Glasses

My glasses are causing me some problems. For the last three months, I've been holding them together with the wire from a twisty-tie, which I replace every few weeks. However, the specs are clearly not long for this world.

The problem is this: I cannot find another pair exactly like these, and at this point I am nothing without them.

"Those glasses are notorious!" someone shouted at me from across the street the other day.

"Love the frames," say strangers on the subway.

Hipsters, formerly snide, now cede tacit respect to anyone willing to submit to what my mother refers to as "voluntary disfigurement."

When I switch to my more subdued "interview glasses" people feel betrayed. "But...what IS Sadie without her big glasses?" said a neighbor to me at the laundromat last week.

It is true that my face is very scary and sad without them.

No comments: