Tuesday, March 24, 2009

As I have mentioned in passing, I've had a terrible time with bad feelings lately,and tonight I had one of my walk-it-out moods...I got on the subway and rode home and then when I got out, there happened to be a church service going on at one of those storefront churches that's all over the neighborhood. Just two women, a young child and a minister. Maybe I've been reading too much Flannery o'Connor lately but I went in and I sat there for about 15 minutes and it did me good. On the door, there's an old sign that says "Relax. God is in charge." I don't know what I feel about God, exactly, but I know that comforted me a great deal. This might all sound like a cheap short story, but there you are.

Oh, well. Robert Lowell had Life Studies and talent. I'm afraid I'll have to settle for the Petite Sophisticate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been in a bad place lately as well. On Sunday, I wandered in to a church and sat quietly for about 20 minutes and listened to jazz and a short lovely sermon. I'm not much for religion, but it made me feel a bit lighter.

Sadie Stein Blog said...

You know, I think there is something in the air? So many great people I know have been really low of late...I hope it's passing! Maybe some sort of moon-related malaise?