Thursday, October 9, 2008

I was listening to Radio 4, as I do most of the day, and the book program featured Michael Morpurgo, the former Children's Laureate, talking about his novel Alone on a Wide, Wide Sea. I've never read his work, but I am going to, because I was so very impressed with his uncondescending approach to the children in the audience. The excerpt he read, too, seemed to have achieved that really rare kind of clean prose that appeals to both children and adults. As an aspiring children's author, I was really inspired!

3 comments:

Bowleserised said...

I saw him read from Ted Hughes' The Iron Man at a memorial talk when the poet laureate died. Harold Pinter was also there, as was (if my memory serves me correctly) Andrew Motion. Morpurgo was superb – both with his reading and his understanding. He's spent decades organising countryside escapes for city kids. His novel, War Horse is perfect, and it's currently on stage in London. Am desperate to see it...

Sadie Stein Blog said...

Thanks for that - on the strength of your comment I just did some real damage on Amazon! Await reports...

ptb said...

i always thought children -should- be condescended to/on/with. i mean, i expect people to talk down to me, and i'm 27