Friday, January 8, 2010

Snow again! Was awoken by the scrape of a neighbor's shovel and the simultaneous rattle of someone going through the bottles on the curb. Went through the recycling bag in my head though and he can't have found much. There's just enough snow to dust things and the streets are clear. When Slim woke at 6 for work I saw at once from the watery light through the slats of the shutters that it must have snowed. He didn't know what I meant and I realized it's because he grew up in L.A. and wasn't alert for the signs of a snow-day.

Friday but I'm not excited, are you? Probably because I have a lot of work to do, although Sunday we may take a day-trip to Philadelphia to catch an exhibit. The truth is, what I want most to see is the recreation of Marianne Moore's apartment, but I want to do that alone. (And, of course the stone babies and things at the Mutter Museum, but with friends as doing that sort of thing alone becomes peculiar very very quickly.) I have a heightened interest in Philly since learning that it was the birth-place of the sticky bun. I don't love them, but I'm interested in the endemic. I've also read about something called a "dewey bun" which I'm hoping I can find at the market there. Or do the Amish not sell on Sundays?

4 comments:

Jaime said...

The Amish are not around on Sundays, but the Mutter Museum is. And, surprisingly, it's much better to go alone, I think, so as to soak in all the Victorian weirdness. The exhibit on conjoined twins is my favorite.

Sadie Stein Blog said...

ooh, I'm there! Thank you!

Jaime said...

I only want everyone else to love the Mutter Museum as much as I do. Just don't eat on your way there. You might find yourself a bit unsettled.

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.