Monday, November 23, 2009

Weekend Thoughts


It is so so so good to be back to my old self. My old self, of course, is a bit on the frenetic side: everything thrills me, from getting a seat on the subway, to not getting a seat on the subway, to the surprisingly delicious Entemann's madeleines, to the light hitting the leaves outside the window...basically, a constant state of euphoria. I'm perhaps more aware of that when I've just come out of a bad patch; I'm forever thinking "I'm happy!" to cement a moment in my mind. Yesterday it was going over the river on the J train at sundown.

Last night I made a mental list of the more intriguing moments of the weekend. Here were a few hilights:

-Exploring a suspiciously cheap little house in the neighborhood that we may or may not buy even though it's a terrible idea and has no pipes. Inside, I found old schoolbooks from the 1930s, and a little toy toaster, which the agent - or whoever he was - let me keep.

-The very intense nerd at the 4th Street Co-op talking about Kennedy assassination theories in a vintage suit with an old hippie.

-Singing a duet of "Total Eclipse of the Heart" with the butcher at Fairway.

-Leaving Slim for five minutes outside a Yorkville bar watching the Steelers game, only to find him doing tequila shots with the creative director of Louis Vuitton (who can only watch football when his boyfriend's out of town.)

-And, of course, my very favorite subway performer in the whole world, Professor Eduardo Alvarado.

13 comments:

Michelle said...

Schoolbooks from the 1930s - that is so intensely cool that you were aloud to keep them!
I haven't seen Professor Eduardo in a long time. I do see the 'Saw Lady' often, at Union Square. Have you seen her? She's great. If you don't know who I'm talking about, her website is www.sawlady.com/blog

Ahbella said...

Ahh Yorkville...Home!

The bar scene is a little dull (and slightly nouveau yuppie) but the neighborhood makes up for it with amazing "hole in the wall" bakeries and restaurants and an interestingly confusing community.

I've come out of lurk mode (noting post)for a moment just to compliment you. I adore your blog...Please,please keep it up!

bess said...

My favorite subway performer was the tall African-American gentleman who played his guitar and sang Beatles songs in the tunnel between the 6th Ave. L and the 2/3 train. He has the biggest, most delightful smile and always cheered me up. It's been a couple of years, I wonder if he still sings there?

Sadie Stein Blog said...

I love the saw lady! And now you mention it, I haven't seen the Beatles guy in a while...the other day, Slim and I saw a new group: a bunch of late-middle-aged folks (and I do mean a bunch, think Polyphonic Spree-scale)doing very earnest Beatles covers at 14th St. A...they introduced one of the (many) guitarists as "our Hare-Krishna friend". I'll have to figure out what they were called...

Bonnie said...

My two favorite all-time subway performers:

1. A gentleman who played standards and Sinatra on an instrument made from overturned metal bucket with a rope threader through, held taut, and plucked. Really good.

2. Howard Fishman and company. Old-timey quartet playing originals. Bought his CD on the L platform and a decade later became friendly acquaintances by chance.

bess said...

I feel like I've seen the Howard Fishman quartet. . . do they have a tall, red-headed upright bass player?

K. No said...

There's a man in San Francisco, more commonly referred to as the Bushman, who sits on a bucket on the sidewalk at Fisherman's Wharf, holding two leafy branches in front of him. His thing is scaring people. And even though he is in no way inconspicuous, he manages to scare the shit out of passersby every single time. We watched him once from a second-story seafood restaurant for what were perhaps the most stupidly entertaining two hours of my young life.

Anonymous said...

interesting article. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did you guys know that some chinese hacker had busted twitter yesterday again.

Anonymous said...

great article. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did you guys learn that some chinese hacker had busted twitter yesterday again.

Anonymous said...

interesting article. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did anyone know that some chinese hacker had hacked twitter yesterday again.

Anonymous said...

Hello..
a found a great place to find nice products at cheap rate at [url=http://50off.reviewazone.com/]discount coupon[/url]
Have Fun

Anonymous said...

great read. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did you know that some chinese hacker had busted twitter yesterday again.

Tablet PC Union said...

Good post. Very impressive. Thanks for sharing.
cheap android tablet
business tablet
tablet on sale
wenger backpack
swissgear backpack
lady handbag