Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Birthday Lemon Cake

I sort of winged this - the cake was adapted from the Orange Sour Cream Cake in Marion Cunningham's The Supper Book, while I got the syrup idea from Barefoot Contessa - but it worked out nicely! If you should try it, let me know!

Cake:
-Preheat oven to 325. Grease and lightly flour a loaf pan.

-Cream 1 stick butter and 3/4 cup sugar until light.
-Add 2 eggs, the zest of 1 lemon, and the juice of half a lemon and 1/4 t salt.
-Stir together 1 cup flour, 1/2 t baking powder, 1/2 t baking soda.
-Mix in drys alternately with 1/2 cup plus 2 T sour cream.
-Bake 40-50 minutes, until a tester comes out clean. I err on the side of less.

-Once baked, cool in the pan 10 minutes or so. Poke with a skewer and drizzle with syrup. After that's absorbed, turn out onto rack, and poke/drizzle the bottom.
-When cool, ice. I guess that's optional.

Syrup:
-Heat together 1/3 cup lemon juice and 1/3 cup sugar until melted and clear.

Frosting:
I beat together about 2 T soft butter, some lemon zest, about a cup of powdered sugar with enough lemon juice and cream to thin it.

-Top with small doll or flower sprig. Happy birthday. Also, I have found, delicious for breakfast. Also, with tea.

1 comment:

none said...

ooh, this sounds yummy. And I love cakes with sour cream.